Following my post on a fantasy western background I had a discussion with an old mate rgarding a potential historical/pseudo-historical scenario which would go something like this:
- Characters would be a the household retainers of a minor landowner in Iceland – at some point in the past they killed a rival.’ ?(This may be a prologue scenario the conflict coming out of soemthign routed in the real world.)
- The Wizards son was a bright scholar destined for the church and has been sent off to the Unversity in Paris (also a centre of hermatic/occult learning. – things you learn from tapes of Magnus Magnusson’s Tales of Viking Times you got as a nipper.)
- The First portion of the scenario is the return of the son, skilled in archane law and escorted by exotic muscle (former templars and teutonic knights) he will kill their headman (possibly off camera) which will set the player-characters on the quest for revenge,
- The Wizard has left, for his own occult reasons, for Vinland (the Viking colony in North America) via Greenland with the players in pursit
Now their are a number of different tropes and influences that can play into this:
- Is the magic reason for the quest to the frozen north somehing to do with Clark Ashton Smith’s (CAS) occult pre-history empire of Hyperborea and the worship of the toad god Tsathoggua.
- Whether unconnected or instrinic to that could the quest lead the characters to Edger Rice Burrough’s ‘Land that time forgot.’ (Is a dinsoaur part needed for whatever magics the Wizard is after having avenged hiis father.)
- Does another relic of some sort belong to a Viking village in Vinland requiring the players to help defend it to foil his plan (Magnificent Seven.)
- Once in Vinland will the Wizard call upon sympathetic skraelings (native people, perhaps North American Voormis (from CAS fiction)) to protect him with echoes of the 13th Warrior ?
- What is the Wizard’s goal in Vinland – a ‘classic’ Call of Cthulhu scenario type quest for world domination? Or is it to cast magics enabling the establishment of a ‘secret empire’ with him dominationg events behind the scene (if the players ‘fail’ that could lead into a campaign set in an other era.)
Just a few thoughts with other demands this won’t see light of play for many a month (year?) but it feels good to get a few ideas out here in my virtual commonplace book.